Monday, November 1, 2010

Breast Feeding

I had a conversation with one of my sisters-in-law shortly after I found out we were expecting. She asked if I was interested in breast feeding to which I replied yes. She then asked what insurance I have. As it turns out, we both have the same insurance: Blue Cross Blue Shield. She asked because this particular insurance company will purchase your breast pump for you if you choose to breast feed. I was completely skeptical, but decided to try it anyway. I called the insurance company and they told me to contact a medical supplies company that would handle the transaction.

I went to their website and, not knowing anything about breast pumps, just picked out the most expensive model at $350. I then spoke to a rep for the medical supplies company who told me they would let me know if the insurance company would approve my purchase. I fully expected that they would cover part of the purchase, or that they would deny the purchase and recommend a cheaper model. Much to my surprise, they quickly approved the purchase and this lovely breast pump is now on its way to my house! FOR FREE!


The reviews I read on Amazon.com (where it is listed for a good $100 less!) were pretty good. There were a few negative ones, but you find that with just about any product. I love that it is electric and it is nice that it comes with some bottles as well.

Since I hope to breast feed for a good full year or two (that's what the recommend these days!) I am sure I'll get a lot of good use out of this. I just hope it doesn't leave me feeling like a cow in a dairy farm. Oh man. What an image. No wonder so many women choose to go with formula instead!

1 comment: